Hey You! Yes, You! Did you forget to do your charter??
You have past the deadline. How can we help?
If you have not yet logged in, we encourage you to do so very soon.
Here are the most important things to do in order to finish the process:
- Log on to https://scoutnet.scouting.org/ucrs/UI/home/default.aspx
- Select “First Time User” and enter the unit’s 9-digit unit access code.
- Select unit type (Pack, Troop or Crew) and enter the four-digit unit number (Example: 0627).
- Create a password as instructed. (If you forget your password, call us at 715-355-1450.)
- Complete the information on each screen. You can stop at any time, log out of the system, and begin again where you left off. To do so you will need to log in again as a “returning user”, using your access code and your password. Be sure to update all contact information for adults and youth during this process, especially email addresses for adult leaders. Thank you!
- When you have completed all the information to re-charter the unit, click the “submit” button.
Note: You are not done with the charter renewal process yet!
- Work with your unit leader and committee to complete the 2020 Journey to Excellence Scorecard for your unit. Your Unit Commissioner or Assistant Council Commissioner can help with this process.
- Gather all completed paperwork, Charter Renewal Application, youth applications, adult applications, and 2020 Journey to Excellence Scorecard. Turn-in all paperwork, with payment, at your area’s Charter Renewal Turn-In event. See dates, times and locations below:
Visit http://www.samoset.org/tools/charter-renewal/59730 for more details!
Merit Badge Counselors/District Members At Large/Scouter Reserve – You will be receiving an email with details to register for 2021.
New Eagle Required Merit Badge
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Merit Badge
- Councils should be receiving the requirements sometime in January and will begin recruiting merit badge counselors
- Requirements will be released to members sometime in January
- Scouts will be able to earn the merit badge starting in January
- It will become eagle required 5/1/2021 thus increasing eagle required MBs to 14 with 7 electives
- There will not be a physical merit badge pamphlet but a website/resource page to assist with earning the badge
Virtual Merit Badges
The Virtual Merit Badge offerings are still available through the end of the year. When you register, your automatic reply email and receipt contains the link to be able to access the Merit Badge. Register online at www.samoset.org/meritbadges
- Citizenship in the Nation
- Coin Collecting
- Emergency Preparedness
- Indian Lore
Looking for a fun opportunity for your Scouts to get outdoors and make lifelong connections? Summer Camp applications are due December 15th. Youth get to enjoy a summer in the great Northwoods of Wisconsin, with Counselor-in-Training positions starting at 14 years-old. While the average Camp Staff age is 16, all applicants will be considered. Don’t wait, apply now! www.campingisking.com/campstaff
OA Winter Banquet
Tom Kita Chara Lodge, Order of the Arrow, would like to invite you to the annual Winter Banquet. This is a virtual event on January 9th. We will have training sessions and will play fun games. Do you like Among Us? How about Kahoot? We would like to welcome all Arrowmen to come check this event out. We want everybody to come by and spend some time with us to celebrate the new lodge year! Towards the end of the event we do our annual lodge business and recognition of Outstanding Arrowman of the year and the National Founders’ Award. Register at www.tkclodge.org. We can’t wait to see you there!
COVID-19 & Samoset Camps, Meetings and More
On November 10 you will recall the Governor Evers issued recommendations related to COVID-19 in the form of Executive Order #94. This order discourages gatherings and interactions with people outside your immediate household at both indoor and outdoor gatherings. In addition, a reminder that Emergency Order #1 which requires face coverings for indoor public spaces and recommended for outdoor gatherings when it is not possible to social distance is in place. This order was extended to January 19, 2021.
Samoset Scouting follows the CDC, state and local guidelines for meetings, activities and outings. We also periodically meet with our volunteer Council Risk Management Committee to discuss possible changes as the pandemic has developed. Unit leaders should check their county website for any further guidelines.
We are strongly recommending that all Scouting indoor activities follow a virtual format for the duration of December. We are assessing the situation again before the holidays and will update guidance soon after. Meetings and outings of 10 or less participants are possible outdoors and is up to the discretion of the BSA registered adult leader in cooperation with the unit committee and parents of Scouts. We recommend the 10 participants ideally be a den, patrol or small Venturing Crews that have been in the same cohort for a while.
In line with this recommendation, we are not allowing any camp building reservations through at least 12/31/2020. The Wausau Homes Scout Center will remain open for the Scout Shop, distance learning programs, and office functions by appointment or curbside service only.
We know that this is discouraging and disappointing, but as a reminder here are some resources to help Scouts make the most of Scouting while at home:
Our Scouting@Home web page [ http://www.samoset.org/resources/scouting-at-home/72847] includes a variety of resources on Scouting at a distance and/or virtual Scouting. Some of the resources include running your own virtual meeting.
These policies are expected to be in effect through the month of December. Since the situation seems to be ever changing, we will notify changes on our website as well as future editions of Smiley News. If you have questions about Samoset COVID19 policies, you can reach out to John Overland at 715-355-1450 or go to www.samoset.org/covid19
Hanna Eagle Scholarship Applications Due January 15, 2021
Al and Chris Hanna established a scholarship fund to help support the education of Eagle Scouts attending college. This is a great way to support our Scouts who are preparing for their future through furthering their education. The Al and Chris Hanna Eagle Scout Scholarship Award is open to all Eagle Scouts currently registered with Samoset Council and who have demonstrated leadership in and outside of Scouting.
The scholarship fund has grown to a level where in the last year $1,000 awards were given to 29 Eagle Scouts! Samoset Council is now accepting 2020 applications with a due date of January 15, 2021. Please review and complete your application carefully.
WHSC Closed December 28th - January 1st
Due to limited staffing availability for services during this time, the service center will be closed this week in order for staff to fully enjoy the holidays with their families.
Please plan ahead for any Scout Shop purchases. A reminder there is secure drop box for your needs if you have any forms or other paperwork you want to drop off. Its near the employee entrance on the north side of the building. The service center will reopen on Monday, January 4.
Pinewood Derby kits and patches and trophies, oh my! We have all things cool when it comes to your 2021 Pinewood Derby needs!
Our goal is to continue to provide excellent customer service despite not having a dedicated staff member in the Scout Shop. Additional staff have been cross trained for the Scout Shop. Thanks for your patience!
The Scout Shop continues to have curbside pick up and by appointment service only. Appointments can be made for the hours of Monday-Friday 8:30-5. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 715-355-1450. Mail orders continue to be available. You can have us pull and mail them by sending us an email to email@example.com. The Scout Shop will be closed to any services from Monday, December 28 thru Friday, January 1 as the entire Scout Service Center is closed during these dates.
TIME's Kid of The Year is STEM Scout
Gitanjali Rao, age 15 from Lone Tree, Colorado was selected from a pool of 5,000 nominees as TIME’s first ever Kid of the Year! This was announced by TIME on December 3rd. Way cool that she is a STEM Scout! Read more at this link: https://scoutingwire.org/times-2020-kid-of-the-year-is-a-stem-scout/